Monday, April 4, 2011

On the Radio

As I was driving somewhere the other day, the location unimportant really I was listening to my favorite radio station (J103).There was a pastor on one of the infomercials and he asked a very good question that has stuck with me the past few days. He asked "Are you a Christian or are you a disciple? God only mentions the word "christian" in the Bible 3x but the word "disciple" is mentioned 259x. God doesnt want you to just be christian to look and act that way but to be a disciple for Christ." As I sat and pondered over what he said it made me sit and think. He made a very good point. There's a lot of "Christians" in the world, but I bet if all the Christians were video taped for a month straight maybe half or less than half would be "christ-like" for that month. Would they read their Bibles? go to church? Tell others about God? Give to the poor? Say positive things to co workers and family? Would they pray? There's many days I dont do these things but I know im a christian right? Well we're striving to be the wrong thing, we need to reach out our hands to higher goals and a higher calling. Be a disciple. What is a disciple though? Disciple means a 'follower' of Jesus helping to spread the good news of Christ; an active follower and believer! Not only do we need to proclaim to be Christian, thats a good thing but we need to show that we are disciples. Spreading Gods love, His laws, His promises, His life story, and most importantly salvation! So have you been striving to just get religion? To be on someone's calling list or prayer list but you have no idea who this God is? Well the Bible can tell you! Get it out, read it, and study study study! If you have trouble doing it reach out, join a study group, have someone check on you daily to hold you accountable to make sure you do read whether it be your spouse, mom or dad, sister or brother or a friend. Our days get so 'busy' with tv and computers and cell phones how ever will we find the time to fit in God? Well I think if we can sacrifice a few hours, i mean minutes a day to use Facebook I think we can manage to read our Bible for at least an hour! Im talking to me here to ya know. I am guilty of this one! So now let try to stand up tall, get rid of this fear to throw a life preserve to the lost and drowning in the world and pull them in for Christ, I mean thats why He made us. He's waiting for you and me to make that move to bring in another. You remember how sweet it was, how wonderful and beautiful it was to meet God for the first time when u prayed Him into your heart. Don't you want that joy for others? For that friend you work with or that uncle who cusses like a sailor? Or maybe its your mom or dad? Even if they reject you or I a seed is planted (Gods promise) and let ne tell you God promises to work on their hearts. They WILL NOT forget your words! And dont forget to pray for them either! Prayer is still working ya'll. I've seen it in action and praise God He still listens! So dont give up, take up your cross with Jesus and keep going! He did for you!

No comments: